This year I wanted it to be different. This year, I wanted to go have a drink in one of the tallest buildings in Chicago, take in the view, then go home and not deal with dinner crowds. But now even that idea is taking too much energy, and is stressing me out.
See, I'm a fan of ordinary love. Love where, like tonight after dinner, I sit on the couch squashed next to my husband (Mr. A Swift Doula) and watch the PBS Newshour. Love, where my daughter sees us squashed on the couch and without too much thought says, "We need to have a family kiss."
So if you or your partner are also fans of ordinary love, I'd like to share some ordinary things that would be great for your ordinary valentine this coming Saturday.
10 Displays of Ordinary Love - From Morning to Night
- Make the coffee. Bring the coffee. Drink the coffee together.
- Feed the animals, children included if they exist.
- Post It Note on the door to be read as he/she leaves. I prefer the short and sweet XOXO. Extra points for drawing a heart.
- Fill up the gas tank.
- G-Chat message sometime throughout the day - again with XOXO.
- Say yes to pizza night - give your partner the biggest piece.
- Give your partner the remote.
- Go in for a hug, and don't let go. Just stay there for a good 45-60 seconds.
- Put fresh sheets on the bed.
- Change the empty toilet paper roll.
These aren't fancy. They cost little to no money. They all happen at some point very regularly throughout the year. And that is why they mean more to me then drinks at a cool bar (which we will do) or a bouquet of flowers (which I do love, and often will buy for myself - thank you very much.)
I know there are others like me that aren't looking for the commercialized interpretation of this coming holiday. I know there will be some that read this little list and think I need to raise my expectations. But it's cool. I'm ok.
Happy Valentine's Day.
Authored by A Swift Doula